Friday, October 10, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai

This is definitely now of my top 5 favorite Pinterest recipe I've found! It's 100% hubs approved too! Even though it doesn't have a single potato, bread, or pasta involved!

I found a pin and followed the recipe to Lexi's Clean Kitchen! I was SUPER skeptical! And SUPER surprised with the outcome!








Ingredients
  1. 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
  2. 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  3. 1/2 red onion, chopped (Noticed after the fact the original recipe shows the red onion in bigger strips. I would not dice next time, or would use the strips)
  4. 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped (I omitted because the hubs hates)
  5. 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
  6. 1/2 cup sprouts (I found canned in the Asian food section)
  7. 1/2 cup scallions, chopped (Chop bigger, not diced)
  8. 10-20 large shrimps (Omitted, just didn't feel like shrimp)
  9. 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used a rotisserie chicken)
  10. 2-3 organic eggs (3 regular eggs)



Sauce
  1. 2 tbsp coconut aminos (I used soy sauce)
  2. Optional: 2 tbsp oyster sauce (YES)
  3. 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
  4. 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  5. 1 tsp ground garlic (Out, I used onion powder)

  1. Instructions
    1. 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    2. 2. Roast spaghetti squash and set aside  (I cooked mine in the microwave to save time.)
    3. 3. In a bowl mix together sauce ingredients and set aside
    4. 4. In a large pan, sauté 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil with 2 garlic cloves crushed, half of a red onion chopped, chopped mushrooms, carrots, sprouts, and scallions (and any other veggies you like) (Omitted mushrooms, added broccoli. Would add bell peppers in the future. Sauteed for probably 8 minutes)
    5. 5. Once cooked down, add shrimp and chicken (uncooked or slow cooker chicken) and cook for 5-8 minutes, until protein is cooked (Just chicken, already cooked so only 5 minutes to heat through)
    6. 6. Add in spaghetti squash (approx. 3 cups) and sauce mixture, mix well to combine
    7. 7. Make a space in the center of your pan and add in 2 (or 3) eggs (Was unclear what exactly to do here. I scrambled the eggs prior to putting them in. I let them cook for about 3-5 minutes and then stirred through. It didn't look cooked and I was nervous about stirring through, but I went ahead and it worked.)
    8. 8. Let cook and mix well throughout the mixture. (Probably another 5 minutes) 
    9. 9. Taste and adjust spices to desired liking
    10. Optional: Top with extra scallions and finely chopped peanuts on top (I would absolutely not put peanuts on. I love kung pao, but this is not the place for it in my opinion.)
    Notes
    1. If you like more of a saucy Pad Thai, taste and add more sauce as desired (I doubled the sauce. In the future I would 1.5 the soy sauce and double the rest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment